Thursday, June 21, 2012

Sights of Seoul Day 1

The sun was already pouring in the window and giving us the promise of another hot day when my sister and I woke up at 0530 on Wednesday morning.  She'd been in Korealand for about three and a half days by that point.

We sleepily dressed and grabbed our bags, one backpack and two purses, before heading out the door and down to the bus stop.  We caught a bus to the bus terminal and picked up some pastries and water from the convenience store.

At about five minutes til 0700 we left the cool interior of the bus terminal to board our bus and begin the four hour trek to Seoul.  We slept about half the ride, I read for the rest while Elli played on her phone.

At a little past 1100 we found ourselves at the Seoul Bus Terminal, which is where we met MY.

From there we took the subway up to 인사동 (Insadong), which is a very traditional area close to Gyeongbokgung Palace.  I'd been there before with MY, but I still hadn't seen enough of it.  


We found a popular little restaurant where Elli and I ate 냉면 (cold noodles), and MY ate something else.  A  (soup) of some sort.


Somehow, I managed not to get a picture of our food, I guess I was too hungry...


After lunch we wandered through this cool building I went to last time.  The picture of the rose at the end of this post is from there.  Elli bought a keychain and we wandered around some more.  


Coolest building design in Korealand (in my opinion)
Second attempt at a three person Myspace shot, meh.
With the heat ready to turn us into puddles on the sidewalk we escaped to this sort of toy museum.  It was full of rather odd things...
Superman!
C-3PO
Want to play?
Moon Prism Power!
Boardgame anyone?
Oddest League of Justice I've ever seen...
Superman!  Behind you!
Apparently the Olympics were being held here when I was born.
Run!!!!!
Okay, anyone below the age of fifty know about these?
Kickin in the front seat, sitting in the back seat...
Interesting...
Smile!
So many toys!!!
Astro...man?

Game time!
Awesome game time!
What's with Superman's arms?
No Comment
After we left the toy museum we walked around some more and eventually ate some fried potatoes on a stick.  Again, I didn't manage a picture...but I'm sure I'll have them again sometime, I'll get a picture then.

We ended up back at a stream I went to with MY during a previous visit.  It's very pretty there, I wish the stream by my house looked this nice.
So peaceful.
Two of the most awesome people in the world.
So pretty!
We were all tired of walking in the heat so we took a subway to 이태원동 (Itaewon - the foreigner district) to check into our guesthouse.  

I booked Elli and myself into a private, two bed room at IS@K Guesthouse.  It was very nice and clean, though Elli was a little weirded out by the fact that the bathroom is two toilet stalls, three sinks, three shower stalls, and both genders.

Primarily the last part.

We had two fans in our little room.  Lockers to put our things in, and a lock on our door.  The beds were comfy, though the room was small.

We chilled there for awhile.  Then Elli decided to take a nap so MY and I went out to a coffee shop for an hour or so.

While at the coffee shop I got approached by a couple of college students that were doing a survey.  They wanted to know what I thought about various things about Korea.  

Before leaving the coffee shop I bought Elli a coffee and we wandered back to the guesthouse.  Elli was still sleeping, but woke up when we came in.

We relaxed some more before going out in search of dinner.

After a quick shop to the only entirely English bookstore in Seoul.  Just for fun, none of us bought anything.

Itaewon is full of different restaurants and bars, but most of those are not Korean, at all.  In fact, eating Korean food there is about as likely as eating Korean food in the Panhandle, it can happen, but not often.  We ended up at a Thai place with good food, but the service was rather...odd.  
Spicy Fried Rice
Pineapple Fried Rice
Pad Thai

I think I'd try out some of the other Thai places before thinking about going back to that particular restaurant.
Funny
Silly
Happy
There really isn't much to tell about the rest of the day.  We went back to the guesthouse, MY stayed around for a little while, then he had to catch the subway back home and Elli and I went to bed.

After all, Thursday was going to be another adventure and we needed our sleep.


Elinore's picture of the day

1 comment: