Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Silence isn't Golden

Last week wasn't one of my best here in Korealand.

On Monday I woke up with a sore throat, but it went away after I ate breakfast.

Tuesday I woke up with a sore throat again, but it never went away.  I started coughing that night.

Wednesday I continued to cough as my voice grew hoarse, it was almost gone by the end of the day.

Thursday I woke up with a bad cough and no voice.  I went to the hospital and was told I had acute laryngitis.  She gave me cough syrup (prescription only here), super strong Tylenol, and something else (possibly a steroid).  I texted Esther and she arranged my classes so the ones that really require my voice (the Kindergarten ones) would watch a video.  The other classes I was able to whisper for.

Friday was actually a good day for me to have no voice, since it was the day of the Speech Contest.  Casey was hosting it, I just had to sit with Claire and Jessie and score students as they did their speeches.  I barely talked all day.

I've now gotten sick twice since I came here.  One was stomach related.  And now this one, which is throat related.  I've actually done much better than most people that come over here to teach, especially since it took me six months to even get sick.

I'm guessing that's a combination of a healthy immune system and the fact that I've spent a lot of time working around children already.

I'm almost all better now.  Next update will say how I spent my weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment