Thursday, May 31, 2012

My Sister

Photo from our birthday in 2011
Now, my sister and I have always been rather close.  We're not twins like Laura and Margret, so the age difference has put us at odds several times, but these never lasted for very long.

She and I share a birthday and my mother always liked to point this out and stress the importance of our sisterly bond.  That, combined with us moving all the time meant that we've become each others' best friend, despite our four year age difference.

Last summer I spent about a month and a half apart from Elinore, that was the longest we'd ever been separated, but that was just the first test.  I now haven't seen her since the eve of my departure to Korealand, back on Monday, September 26th.  That's also the last time I saw my dad, but I've gone a long time without seeing him before, so it's not quite the same.

Being away from my family for so long has been hard at times, especially back at the beginning of December.

Most people truly feel grief and homesickness at the two to three month mark.  I wrote 'The Point'  about two months after I came to Korea and about three months after my mother passed away.  That was a hard weekend, really hard, but I got through it.  The next weekend I had my first date with MY and two weeks later, on Christmas Eve, he asked me to be his girlfriend.

Things have all gone up hill since 'The Point'.  I've come to terms with my grief for my mother and with the fact that I've only been able to see my family through my computer screen.  I've dealt with the fact that my friends and family back in the states of gotten busy and not been able to return my messages.  I've dealt with students that make me want to lose my temper, and students that couldn't be any sweeter.

It's been a real learning experience, and, all through this time I've had a few constants.

I've known that my sister will always message me back as soon as she can.
I've known that my grandfather expects to see me on Skype at least once a week.
I've known that I'll talk to MY every day, even if we just message.
I've known that I work with good people.

Notice that the top constant is my sister.  I'm always there for her, and she's always there for me.  We are each others' rock.  We always have been, and we always will be.

That's why I'm like a little kid on Christmas Eve right now.

This weekend I'll be spending time with my best friend.  For the first time in eight months I'll be able to see her in person and hug her.

Sometime before noon on Saturday I'll be meeting her at the bus terminal in Changwon and possibly crying my eyes out, if I'm not squealing with joy, or possibly even both.

But, don't worry, MY will be there to make sure I don't get hit by a bus during my squealing tears of joy.

I have one month to spend with my sister before we part ways for another three months.  I know I'll be crying when she leaves, but I don't want to think about that just yet.  I want to enjoy my time with her as I show her this little corner of the world I've decided to make my home for the foreseeable future.

I've got lots of plans for while she's here, but I'll be just as happy for the days we spend chilling in my apartment and just talking or watching anime together.

I hope everyone else's month of June is as memorable and amazing as I plan to make mine.


1 comment:

  1. be sure to get lots of pics :) Susan

    ReplyDelete