Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Hump Day

Six months ago today, at this very hour, I was landing in Incheon Airport.

It's amazing how much has changed in that six months.

Then:

  • It had been less than a week since I'd buried my mother.
  • I was arriving in Asia (and Korea) for the first time.  A place I'd only ever learned about from second-hand accounts.
  • I was moving away from home to live on my own for the first time.
  • I had everything I wanted/needed from Florida in two suitcases, a backpack, and my laptop bag.
  • I was going to a place where I knew nobody.  In many ways I was entirely alone, despite technology.
Now:
  • I miss my mother, but I can finally think about her without it hurting.
  • Asia (and Korea) no longer feels like a foreign land.
  • I've found that I can live on my own quite well, though it does present difficulties sometimes.
  • I now own more than would fit in those bags, but most of the extra things I wouldn't need outside of Korea.
  • Now I know quite a few amazing people here.  I have amazing co-workers, a couple good friends, and an awesome boyfriend.  I feel even farther from being alone than I did back in Niceville.

When I arrived here I knew I was embarking on an adventure and opening to a new chapter in my life.  I didn't know what to expect and so every second left me breathless with anticipation and surprise.

Now, things have settled down, but I still feel that wonder and amazement.

Just last weekend I went to Seoul again and as I walked through Itaewon with MY it started snowing, in March.

It was beautiful, awesome, romantic, and unforgettable.

Moments like that just make me so glad to be here.  

Sure, I miss my family.  I miss just popping in at my dad's or grandparent's and just chatting for a little while.  Or stopping by Uncle Jerry's shop to say hi.  Or going out to grab lunch or go shopping with my sister.

Despite all of that I know that I'll see them again and that even though it won't be the same, we're family, I love them, and I know we'll always be there for each other.

I also miss Florida a little.  I miss those beautiful early spring days when the weather is so perfect.  Or the sight, sound, and smell of the beach.  I miss driving across the Mid-Bay Bridge and seeing a world of water spread out around me.

Yet I know that if I left Korea I'd miss the rocky beaches, the gorgeous mountains, and the beautiful days like today.  Today the sun is shining, a soft breeze is blowing, and it's a perfect 66 F in the sunshine.

So, I've given up a lot of things to be here, but I don't regret it, because what I've gained has been so wonderful.

I can quite easily say that after six months of living here I don't regret my decision to move here.  Living here has had its ups and its downs, but so did living in Niceville.

Also - A happy half-birthday to Apple Jack and SK.

1 comment:

  1. Holy Cow of India! Six months already?
    It certainly doesn't seem that long. I'm glad you're getting the hang of it though. :)
    Also, Florida misses you too!

    ReplyDelete