Sunday, December 11, 2011

Someone Listened!

So, my Aunt Diana listened to me in a previous post and sent me a nice long email today.  Or was it yesterday?  Hold on, my weekend disappeared,  let me go check the timestamp... Ah, she sent it at 0230 my time Sunday morning.

Dear Katie,

I thought that I would drop you a line to let you know how much I enjoy following you blog.  You seem to be having a terrific time and appear to have blossomed into your own.  Although I do envy you your experiences, I am too picky an eater to even imagine myself eating all of the foods that you are eating and enjoying.  I will be forever culturally isolated because of my aversion to new, strange foods.  YIKES!

Can you please send me your address (the school's.)  I would love to be able to send you a card.

I am going to a Christmas party today with the canoe/kayak club that I joined.  I am planning on making "mini" sticky rolls, which I am renaming "sticky pops."  We are supposed to bring finger food and so I am trying to make them into an h'or d'oeuvres.  I will let you know if I am successful.. The plan is to make the rolled out dough very narrow.  As none of the people will know about the real sticky rolls, it is easier to impress.

How is your weather?  What is normal?  How do the Koreans deal with it?  What have you noticed as a "Floridian" that you would not have thought of before?  You could probably write a blog on the topic.  When I worked at McRae's some people would come in to buy winter clothes because they were going somewhere cold for the holidays.  Most choices were inappropriate.  WOOL, cashmere, cotton and always the best.  If a sweater looked bulky, they thought it would be warm.  A thin, woolen sweater is warmer than a bulky acrylic sweater.  

I am sure that you know about Derrick's cancer.  Margret has made a blog http://www.usvscancer.blogspot.com/ so she doesn't have to repeat things.  You have started a family trend!

Uncle Bert had his cancer surgery on Thursday, 12-8-11.  The surgery was successful but it takes 7-10 days for the biopsy results be returned from the lab.  He ended up with a 5 inch  scar on his face and a 2 inch scar on his neck.  He sent me his "Frankenstein" picture which I will forward to you if you are interested in seeing it.  He said he is in no pain, but when I talked to him he had been up for 29 hours.  He is taking oxycontin and a side effect is insomnia.  Who knew?

I love you, Sweetie.  Take care and enjoy yourself.  I have joined a canoe and kayak club.  In the club is a man and his wife who met in Japan teaching at the American schools, and they spent 29 years working in DOD schools abroad, Japan and Germany.  I do not know if that sounds appealing to you, but they were very happy with their lives abroad.

Merry Christmas and Happy holidays if I do not get another chance to write you.

Love,
Aunt Diana

Thank you Aunt Diana.  I really do feel like I'm coming into my own here.  I think this is for a lot of different reasons and I'm just glad to be having the time of my life.

Haha, you and the rest of that side of the family are picky eaters.  Luckily I got my taste buds from my dad's side of the family.  Except for the inability to handle extremely spicy food and no interest in big mushrooms and bugs I'll eat pretty much everything.  I may not like it a lot, but I can still handle it.  You'd be fine though, you can find a lot of common American foods here, they're just more expensive than local foods.  And ramyun (ramen) is the cheapest food of all.  And even that can be made into a filling dish by adding an egg, vegetables, or other things.  As seen in this video:


The couple in the video are Simon and Martina from Eat Your Kimchi.  They're a Canadian couple over here that have become minor Youtube celebrities.  Most of the time they're very amusing and informative, but some of their videos show they're getting a big head about their internet fame.  They're in Busan (Pusan).

Ah...sticky rolls....I miss those...and I can't make them here.  My kitchen has no oven and there isn't enough counter space anyway.  As for finding a replacement from a bakery...I don't think I've ever seen anything quiet that decadent and cinnamonny...

Okay, mouth watering now....

I hope they turn out alright for your club.  Even if they don't look the best I know they'll still be loved, because even at their ugliest sticky rolls still look totally awesome.  Let me know how they turn out and send some pictures! (If you took any...)

Well...normal right now is somewhere around 1°C (33.8°F) to 7°C (44.6°F) during the day and -2°C (28.4°F) to 2°C (35.6°F) at night.  When I came out of a club at about 0300 Saturday morning there was ice on the ground where there had been puddles just a few hours previously.  


People here tend to wear layers and big puffy jackets.  I actually very rarely wear pants here.  Preferring to be like most Korean women around my age and wear mini-skirts and shorts or dresses with stockings, leggings, or jeggings (look like jeans, but fit like leggings and are super fuzzy and warm).  When I went out the past two nights I wore two layers of thick stockings (not pantyhose, stockings), boots, short shorts, silk long john top, a turtle-neck, and a jacket.  Plus gloves or hand-warmers (arm socks), a hat, and a scarf.


Here's a picture of me from earlier this week with my new puffy jacket:


And here's one without the puffy jacket:


Yes, I am wearing pigtails.  And yes, that's what I wore to work.  Oh, and yes,  it is appropriate at my school to wear that.  Another thing that makes my job more awesome than teaching at a school in the US of A.


Guys do a little differently, or at least Michael B. and Casey do.  They wear pajama pants under their jeans...


I like my stockings better.  Plus if I really need to I can throw a third layer of leggings on over the stockings and be even warmer while still having freedom of movement and normal looking legs.


Thank you for the link to Margret's blog.  I had heard about Derrick's cancer through a convoluted grape vine that began with an incomplete text from Aunt Marcie to my dad.  I'm keeping Derrick in my thoughts and hoping everything turns out alright.  I wish there was something else I could do, but there's not, especially since I'm halfway around the world.  I did add her blog to my dashboard.  


Margret, Derrick, I love you both and wish you the best of luck right now.  All I can say is be grateful you have each other and your families nearby.


I had no idea about Uncle Bert's cancer biopsy... I did see something on Facebook but wasn't sure what it was.  No one tells me anything....


Oh, Uncle Bert, if you read this then I want you to know something you'll think is neat.  I saw you like the Baltimore Ravens, so I thought you'd find it interesting that I've met Jarret Johnson (#95 Linebacker).  He has a house in Niceville and has two awesome dogs that I took care of a couple of times.  He and his wife were very nice and paid well.


I've thought about a DoD school, but right now I'm leaning more towards ESL and International schools.  I don't know though.  I'm only twenty-three and I still have the rest of my life ahead of me.  We'll just see what happens!


I had a great weekend and to those of you back in the US of A just waking up I hope you have a great Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment