Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Garlic Pork and Rice

I cooked last night.  I mean, really cooked.  For the first time since I arrived in Korealand.


Not that I've been eating out every night, but even when I ate at home I wouldn't call what I made really cooking.


I've been grabbing porridge or gimbap on my way home from Lotte.  Or a sandwich from Paris Baguette.  Or making Ramyun at home.  Or scrambling up some eggs.  There was one night where I made some whole wheat pasta with tuna fish, capers, and lemon juice, but it wasn't anything special and only required me to dump things in a pot.


Last night I decided to break in my rice cooker and brand new large frying pan (the old one was rusty and disturbing).


So I went by Lotte after work, bought tofu, pork, cucumber, garlic, and onion.  Then I went on home to make some real food.  Though what I made cant be found in any recipe book...
Ingredients:
  • ground pork
  • semi-firm tofu square
  • one cucumber
  • one onion
  • nine cloves of garlic
  • can of corn
  • white rice
  • olive oil
  • oregano
  • salt
  • black pepper
  • chili powder
I rinsed the white rice and then put it aside until I was further along with the rest.
I'm not sure what type of rice it was, but it was really small and delicate
My ingredients.  I have left over onion and garlic, which I'll probably use this weekend.

I sliced and chopped the cucumber and onions and threw them in some olive oil in the frying pan.
Still really raw looking
Next came the garlic.  Since I don't have a mincer I just sliced them as thin as I could.
Nine little cloves
I tossed the garlic in the frying pan and soon it began to start cooking.
Beginning to look appetizing.
Now that my veggies were beginning to cook I decided to start the rice.
Looks appetizing, doesn't it?


Yes, my rice cooker is on my window sill, only place it will fit that's near a plug...
Now that the veggies were on their way to epic yumminess I decided to toss in the ground pork and corn.
It's a little raw looking...
It didn't take long though for it to look much yummier.
Almost looks like food here.
This was my first time cooking with tofu so I wasn't quite sure what I was doing with it.  I ended up just crumbling it up and tossing it in.  I also added black pepper, chili powder, and oregano. 
White stuff is the tofu
The rice wasn't quite done yet, which was perfect, so I put my veggie, tofu, and pork mix into the rice cooker.
Mixed it all in with the rice.
Then I let it all finish cooking and sit on warm for a little while.  Didn't take long until it was done.
All done!
Only thing left to do was serve it.

Had enough for dinner and lots of leftovers
I ended up adding a bit of salt at the end since I don't typically add salt while I'm cooking.  It's much healthier to add it after since adding salt while cooking makes it hard to taste, which makes you add more, which is really unhealthy.

It was delicious and I will definitely be making it again sometime.

No, I don't have amounts for the spices I put in.  I never measure them while cooking, only baking.

We'll see what other yummy things I can come up with only using one burner and a rice cooker.  I know some people have made brownies in their rice cooker, so I'll probably give that a try sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment