Thursday, December 8, 2011

11 Things to Know at 25(ish)

Now, before you read what I wrote you should go and read this lovely article: Click on Me!!!

Did you read it?

Good.

Here are my rather insignificant thoughts on it.

1. You Have Time to Find a Job You Love
I've pretty much found this, so I'm one of the lucky ones. I love teaching as a career and enjoy writing in my free time. Even if I managed to actually finish a novel, get it published, wrote a few more, and became a big author I'd probably still keep my day job. Teaching is just fun for me - as long as I'm getting paid and not having to jump through too many bureaucratic hoops to do it. I plan to spend the rest of my life working in the education field if I can.


2. Get Out of Debt and Stay Out of Debt
I have never been in debt and I don't plan to get into debt. Sure, I buy a house or car one day I'll most likely have to take out a loan, but those are different.
My first two years of college were paid for with scholarships and the last three were paid out of my pocket with a little help from my dad a couple times. I never considered taking out a student loan and don't plan on taking one out when I go for my Master's Degree.
As for my credit card? I've had a card since 2007 and every single month I pay it off. If I don't have the money in my bank account I don't buy it. I just use a credit card because it's safer and allows me to build up my credit score.

3. Don’t Rush Dating and Marriage
I almost fell into this and rushed it. Settling for what was good-enough rather than can't-live-without. I'm very glad I finally woke up, smelled the roses, and did what was best for me and him. I'm just sorry it took five years to figure that out.

4. Give Your Best to Friends and Family
That's part of the reason I'm keeping this blog. I just wish there was an easy way for long-distance friends and family to keep me updated. I'm all up for emails from people. Emails, comments, Facebook messages... Whatever you prefer, let me know :) Also - I can't call you and chat if you aren't on Skype!

I'm just super glad I got to see everyone before I left for Korealand, though the circumstances behind that weren't the best.

5. Get Some Counseling
Been there, done that (after my parents got divorced), and I much prefer to work it out on my own or through writing or talking to a good friend.

I've only met one counselor I've ever felt comfortable talking to and she has done wonders in terms of being there for my sister during the difficult times with our mother - including the last few months. Dr. B is amazing and I'm truly grateful we found her.

As it is, I think counseling is great, just not something I prefer to do.


6. Seek Out a Mentor
Umm....I see my dad and my grandparents as my mentors. I don't really understand the need to meet with a stranger and do that. Unless maybe you went through an unusual and painful situation and you need to connect and talk to someone that went through a similar situation?

If I had been offered a mentor after my parents divorced I would've truly benefited from that. I think it honestly would've helped. Right now though? Nope.


7. Be a Part of a Church
I'm not religious. I've never been part of a church (though I have tried some out) and I don't really plan to be.
This is just me though. I know that several of my family members and friends go to church regularly and can't imagine not being part of one.

I feel that this truly means that you should be a part of something you care about. Something that matters to you. Whether it's a church or a club.

I don't have one right now, but I'm always on the lookout. If I find one, then good, if I don't...well, it wasn't meant to be.


8. Find a Rhythm for Spiritual Disciplines
Hm, this is a religious magazine. That explains this.

I choose to believe that this means you should became connected with who you are and what you want to be. Every day I work on this, especially when I take my long walks. I know I'll never truly succeed in figuring myself out, since I change a little each day, but I can definitely do my best.


9. Volunteer
I honestly don't know when I would volunteer, but, like the club, if I find it, I'll do it.

I enjoy volunteering in high school and truly found it to be a rewarding and enjoyable experience. That's probably why I was always happy to help out Kay-Kay's Women's Club. It made me feel good about myself.


10. Feed Yourself and the People You Love
I do like to feed people. I know a lot of basic cooking skills and some not so basic ones.

Maybe at some point I'll figure out how to do this. Until then, I'll enjoy cooking for myself, or not cooking, as the case may be.


11. Don’t Get Stuck
And this is why I'm halfway around the world, learning a new language, exploring a new culture, and meeting amazing people.

To all of my friends and family members that are also at this point in their life take this one to heart. Maybe you shouldn't do anything as drastic as me (I'm an oddball, I know), but you should still keep pushing yourself.


Don't let your life fall into a rut.

I almost did. I'm just glad I woke up soon enough to stop it.

No comments:

Post a Comment