Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving

Yes, I know it's now Friday where I am, but Thanksgiving is still going on for another two hours or so back in Niceville.

My Thanksgiving wasn't anything special, though I did eat ramyun at work and went to bed rather early (around 11 or so) for me.

I was really tired and also had to wake up early this morning to let my landlord in so he could fix the seal on my front door.

Now, back to the topic of this entry: Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving is a holiday that encourages you to spend time with your family, eat until your stomach is bloated, and be thankful for what you have.

Last year I had an interesting and memorable Thanksgiving at a cabin in the mountains.  I wasn't actually with any of my family, but I was with people I cared about.  I had a good time even though I was still wondering if I'd give student teaching another try, unsure if I really wanted to still be a teacher, and downright disillusioned with the educational system in the United States.

This year my Thanksgiving wasn't much different from any other day of the week.  I woke up, ate breakfast, talked with Elinore and my cousin, Andy, on Skype, and went to work.  I was only actually awake for about twelve hours or so because I went to bed so early.  I didn't stuff myself on food or hang out with my family, though I did enjoy talking with them on Skype.  Living in Korea severally limits what I can do special on a holiday that's not practiced here.  

What I could do though was think on what I'm thankful for. 

What I'm thankful for:
  • That everyone in my family is happy, healthy, and doing well.  Especially my dad and sister.
  • That my dad has met such a wonderful woman and that they're leaving to go on a cruise together tomorrow.
  • That I have a wonderful job teaching overseas.
  • That I have such wonderful and extraordinary co-workers, they're more amazing than I could have hoped for.
  • I'm really grateful for all the nice and interesting people I've met so far here in Korea.  I really hope to form some lasting friendships with these people.
  • That two of my best friends are getting married to each other in March - I wish them the best life together.
  • That another of my best friends just entered her third trimester of pregnancy - I wish her and her baby girl the best of health.
  • I'm truly grateful for the chance to be on this earth and experience new and interesting or old and comforting things every single day.
I hope everyone had an amazing Thanksgiving and that you take the time to look at what you're truly thankful for.  And I don't just mean material things(doesn't mean I'm not thankful I have a computer and a smartphone), those can come and go, but what truly matters are the things you can't put a price tag on.

Thank you, and have a happy and safe holiday season.

1 comment: